May 12, 2011

Open Season (Nationals)


My calendar this month is full of racing and it is about time. Training has been great but I have been longing to put myself to the test. My 1st week of May started out with our National selection which went according to plan and Shaun and I walked a way with a comfortable win. Our time of 34.65s was less than desirable but the side/head wind was not ideal either. In the 6 months of pre-season training you never your envision your 1st major race of the season to be anything less than perfect but I always feel you learn so much more from the ones that don't go so well, and that was definitely the case after our trial.

SA champs took place over the weekend and my regatta kicked of with the K2 500m which went really well and gave a great indication of our current form. We raced to a time of 1:29.6. I was really happy with the the boat went managing to build the stroke rate all the way to the end pulling away from the field from start to finish. My next final was the K1 200m. I had a really good start and found myself well clear of the field by half way, but this was not enough to hold off a charging Nick Stubbs who managed to close a boat length and pip me on the line with a well timed lunge. If I was out there to be better than person it would be Nick, which made my race that much more exciting. 30min later was the K2 200m where Shaun and I wanted to prove to ourselves that even when slightly fatigued we are able to post consistently fast times and we did just that clocking a 32.7. It was awesome to do a descent time at the end of a tiring regatta, I am looking forward to testing our combination against the best in the world in a weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment